Did James Franco get snubbed by not being nominated for an Academy Award, when he received a Golden Globe for his lead performance in “The Disaster Artist”? Talk around tinsel town was that Franco was going to be nominated for an Oscar yet recent sexual assault accusations halted his chances.
TIME’S UP, a movement against sexual harassment, took over the Golden Globes. Celebrities attended the show donning all black and Franco supported the cause visibly wearing a TIME’S UP pin to stand in solidarity with the men and women who’ve spoken up on being sexual assault victims. In the midst of his acceptance speech, a number of women took to Twitter insinuating harsh accusations of Franco’s disturbing behavior they experienced by him.
Sarah Tither-Kaplan tweeted “Hey James Franco nice #timesup pin at the Golden Globes, remember a few weeks ago when you told me the full nudity you had me do in two of your movies for $100/day wasn’t exploitative because I signed a contract to do it? Times up on that!”
Hey James Franco, nice #timesup pin at the #GoldenGlobes , remember a few weeks ago when you told me the full nudity you had me do in two of your movies for $100/day wasn’t exploitative because I signed a contract to do it? Times up on that!
— Sarah Tither-Kaplan🌈 (@sarahtk) January 8, 2018
1983’s “Bad Boys” star, Ally Sheedy also took to Twitter saying, “James Franco just won. Please never ask me why I left the film/TV business.” She has since taken down the post.
Days after the Golden Globes Franco appeared on NBC “The Late Show” with Seth Meyers. In the interview, Meyers inquired if Franco was curious why Sheedy would say such a thing and what she meant. “I had a great relationship with her, she took the tweet down. It was so shocking; I guess I’m just letting it be,” Franco replied.
Franco admitted to flirting with underage Scottish tourist, Lucy Clode via Instagram and text messages during the 2014 Broadway production of “Of Mice and Men”. Private messages went back and forth and he asked her if “he should get a room”. The young girl stated her age and turned him down. He took to LIVE with then “Kelly and Michael” and openly admitted to his shame and publicly apologized.
Timothee Chamalet of “Call Me By Your Name”, Daniel Day-Lewis of “Phantom Thread”, Daniel Kaluuya of “Get Out”, Denzel Washington of “Roman J. Israel, Esq.” and surprisingly, Gary Oldman for “Darkest Hour”, were all nominated for “Actor in a leading role” category.
In 2001, Oldman’s now ex-wife, Donya Fiorentino said that her husband beat her with a phone in front of their two children. According to Dailymail, she also accused him of infidelity and drug abuse. In his defense, he said, “She only married me because I was famous.”
Should Oldman, who critics say is a sure shot at getting the best actor award, get a pass?
There shouldn’t be a difference between domestic violence and sexual harassment. Both crimes are legitimately wrong. The documentation of guilt was recorded at the time of Oldman assault incident.
At this point anything is possible as, Casey Affleck — another man accused of sexual violence — took home the lead actor award just last year for his role in “Manchester by the Sea”, though the Academy has blocked him from presenting at the awards ceremony this year.
While Franco still denies any misconduct on his part, and his case stands for now as a he said, she said, he still has a full line-up of films he’s set to star in. Maybe next year Academy, maybe not.