The weather is getting nicer and that only means one thing in Brooklyn — outdoor concerts.
BRIC, the leading presenter of free cultural programming in Brooklyn, in partnership with City of New York Parks & Recreation and the Prospect Park Alliance, has announced the official lineup for the 39th annual Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival. This year the FREE concert series will feature 31 performances from June 7 – August 12 at the beautiful Prospect Park Bandshell.
This season kicks off with Brooklyn-based band Lake Street Dive on June 7 and will then continue with a mix of music, film and dance performances, complemented by food and other provisions from local artisans and vendors. Of the 31 total performances being presented this season, 25 are FREE (with a $5 suggested contribution at the gate): 20 music concerts, three Music & Movies performance events in which live music accompanies films projected on NYC’s largest outdoor screen, and two dance performances. The remaining six shows are ticketed benefit concerts, which offer rare opportunities to see great artists in an extraordinary outdoor setting at reasonable ticket prices while supporting the festival’s FREE performances.
The full season lineup consists of artists from Brooklyn and around the world—across the U.S., the Caribbean, Latin America, the Middle East, Africa and Europe.
- June 10: Alice Smith / Bilal / Kris Bowers
- June 22: Yeasayer / Poliça / Cymbals Eat Guitars
- June 29: Lila Downs / Orkesta Mendoza
- July 7: Musiq Soulchild / People’s Champs
- July 15: Ben l’Oncle Soul / Sweet Crude
- July 21: Amadou & Mariam / Innov Gnawa / Ahmed Gallab
- July 22: Mashrou’ Leila / Dawn of Midi / DJ Khatir
- July 29: Admiral T / Tabou Combo / DJ Spike T.I.
- August 5: Nels Cline: Lovers / Sam Amidon
- August 11: Whitney / Weyes Blood / Moses Sumney
- August 12: Youssou N’Dour / Yacouba Sissoko
Bud Light Music Series
- June 24: Soul Rebels feat. Talib Kweli / Pharoahe Monch & Kirk Knight / Goapele / Natasha Diggs
- July 8: Chronixx / Chop & Quench / Laolu NYC
- July 13: Robert Randolph & The Family Band / Eric Krasno
- July 14: Quantic / Tei Shi / Álex Anwandter
American Express Series
- June 23: Pharoah Sanders / Brooklyn Raga Massive
- July 28: Andrew Bird / Esperanza Spalding
- August 3: Béla Fleck & The Flecktones / Nellie McKay
Music & Movies Series
- July 27: Guido Brignone’s 1925 silent film Maciste All’inferno, with a live score by Sex Mob, and an opening set by Reverend Billy & The Stop Shopping Choir
- August 4: Creed (2015) with a live score by Wordless Music Orchestra and an opening set by Frank Haye & The Brooklyn Interdenominational Choir
- August 10: Selma (2014) with the world premiere live performance of the score by Jason Moran, performed by Moran and Wordless Music Orchestra / Brooklyn United Marching Band
Lisa Loeb will headline this year’s Family Concert on June 17, performing a collection of fun-loving, sing-a-long numbers, joined by the Brooklyn-based orchestra The Knights. Dance performances this year include Garth Fagan Dance celebrating their 45th season (June 30), and the whimsical athleticism of American dance troupe Pilobolus (July 6).
Andrew Bird and Esperanza Spalding (July 28) are presented as part of Prospect Park’s 150th anniversary, which includes special events in the park throughout the year.
This summer’s benefit concerts provide support for the FREE performances and include The Shins (June 15), Planetarium by Sufjan Stevens, Nico Muhly, Bryce Dessner & James McAlister (July 18), Conor Oberst / Hop Along / Big Thief (July 20), Sylvan Esso / Middle Kids (July 26), and two nights with Fleet Foxes (August 1 & 2).
For more information and full listing of events, click here.